- Serves: 8
- 30g caster sugar
- 15 blood oranges, juiced, zest of 5
- 3 Limes, Juiced
- 60ml Water
A wonderful way to showcase a primary ingredient, be careful using alcohol as it will reduce the freezing capacity of the granita. Be sure to fork the granita many times during the freezing process. This recipe will aide you to give a great garnish to a dessert if you don’t have access to an ice cream machine.
- Put the sugar in a pan with 60ml water and bring to the boil, then leave to cool.
- Finely grate the zest from the 5 blood oranges and set aside.
- Cut the oranges in half, squeeze out the juice and pass it through a fine sieve.
- Pour the juice into a bowl and whisk in the lime juice.
- Add the orange zest, whisk briefly and leave to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Pour through a fine sieve into a shallow dish before adding the sugar solution, place in the freezer and leave for 12 hours.
- Remove the dish from the freezer and, by firmly drawing a strong fork over the surface, scrape and scratch the frozen block into a light, crystalline granita.
- To prevent the crystals thawing, regularly transfer them to the freezer as you make them.
- When finished, put the granita into a freezer container with a lid and store in the freezer.