- 1ltr water
- 1 small onion
- 1 whole carrot
- 250g fresh mushrooms
- 250g dried mushrooms
- 100ml soy
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 star anise
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 chilli
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, sliced with skin left on
- 50g good quality miso
- Selection of thinly sliced vegetables
- Mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan, except for the miso.
- Bring the pot to just below a simmer, turn the heat down to the minimum, cover with a lid and infuse the broth for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, whisk in the miso paste.
- Pour the hot broth over your thinly sliced vegetables and finish with some fresh herbs.
Variations and additions
To adjust the seasoning and vary the flavour, add a little squeeze of fresh lime juice, sugar or fish sauce.
To make a chicken broth, roast off 250g chicken wings in the oven until dark golden brown, drain of the residual fat and add them to your broth recipe.
For a great tofu, press the tofu overnight in the fridge. Fry the whole tofu in a little cold pressed rapeseed oil and slice before adding to your ramen.
Add noodles or rice to the ramen to make a more substantial meal.
Healthy mind and body recipes from @BIFM_WIFM and @GHCookery