- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 50g mincemeat
- 20g sunflower seeds
- 20g walnuts
- 20g pumpkin seed
- 20g caster sugar
- 20g plain flour
- 20g cold butter
- 80g marzipan
- VANILLA CUSTARD
- 300ml whole milk
- 300ml double cream
- 100g caster sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod
Granny Smith apples are perfect for baking and this recipe is easy to make a favourite with all the family.
BAKED GRANNY SMITH WITH MINCEMEAT
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Wash the apple and trim the top and bottom, then lightly score the skin of the apple going round horizontally with a small knife.
- In a food processor put the flour, butter, caster sugar, walnuts and seeds. Then gently pulse to make a crumble looking mix, leave to one side.
- Remove the core of the apple with an apple corer.
- Take your mincemeat and push it into the space left by the core of the apple being removed.
- Place into baking dish and scatter the crumble mix on top of all the apples, so it’s even.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 14 minutes until the apples are soft to touch.
- Whilst the apples are cooking roll out the marzipan until it is thin and place in the fridge on grease proof paper until chilled. Once cold get a round disk with a cutter, the same size as the apple.
- Once the apples are cooked, remove them from the oven and place a disk of marzipan on to each apple, now either blow torch until golden, or if you don’t have a blow torch, place the dish under to hot grill which will give you the same effect.
- Place on to a plate and drizzle with custard, ice cream or both.
- Pour the cream and milk in a thick bottomed saucepan. Scrap the vanilla seeds from the pod and place into the pan and warm gently.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl.
- Once the eggs and sugar are mixed slowly pour the milk mix over the egg mix, whisking all the time (make sure the cream mix isn’t too hot or the egg will scramble and you will have to start again!)
- Once it’s incorporated, place back in the pan and gently cook out the eggs so the mix coats the back of a spoon and serve straight away or pour into a bowl and leave to cool.