- Serves: 10
- 800g - brown long grain rice
- 600g - tinned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 - cloves garlic
- 1 - onion, diced
- 2 - bunch spring onions, sliced
- 800g - coconut milk
- ½ tsp - ground allspice
- 4 sprigs - thyme
- 2 - scotch bonnet chilli
- 1 tbsp - coconut oil
Rice and peas was adopted from the Akan tribe hailing from Ghana and Ivory Coast in West Africa. Today it’s a favourite dish throughout the Caribbean and is often served with Sunday lunch, although it’s so delicious and goes with everything you’ll often it on the weekday menu too.
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear
- Gently sauté the garlic and onion in the coconut oil until softened
- Stir in the rice with the beans, allspice, thyme, coconut milk and scotch bonnet
- Top with a little water; the total amount of liquid should cover the rice 3cm above its level
- Bring to the boil then cover with a lid, turn the heat on low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Alternatively you could cover with foil and braise the rice in the oven for about 45 minutes at 180c
- When the rice is soft and the liquid absorbed, it is done.
- Serve with the sliced spring onions on top