- 440g plain flour
- 50g baking powder
- 80g butter
- 150ml double cream
- 150ml milk
- 80g caster sugar
- Plus 1 egg yolk mixed with a pinch of salt
- Cherry compote
- 1kg fresh cherries, pitted
- 125g sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half (optional)
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the butter, milk and cream, then rub with your fingers until all the ingredients are fully incorporated – be careful not to over mix.
- Chill for 1 hour
- On a lightly floured surface roll the mix to a 1 inch thickness
- Cut out, using a 1.5 inch pastry cutter and place on a tray lined with parchment paper
- Using a pastry brush coat the top of the scones with the egg mix and bake at 180C for 10 mins
- Allow to cool and cut in half and serve with clotted cream and cherry compote
- Place all the ingredients in a medium-sized pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the cherries have softened and start to release their juices.
- Stir the compote and continue cooking for about 45 minutes, or until thickened.
- Allow to cool to cool before placing into the scone.
- This will give you about 2 jam jars if you want to keep for up to 4 weeks