- Serves: 2
- 1x 1-1.2 kg chicken
- For CHERMOULA
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 50g red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 45ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- Salt to season
Spatchcock is a great way to speed up cooking times and also add extra flavour to your chicken. Best of all, it is super-easy to perform yourself at home, all you need is a sturdy pair of clean scissors.
To spatchcock a chicken
- Make sure the chicken is breast down with the back facing you.
- Using a good pair of scissors cut down either side of the back bone going carefully around the legs not to damage the meat.
- Open the chicken out and turn it over, then flatten the breastbone by breaking the wish bone and some of the cartilage, remove the wish bone if possible.
- Season well on both sides, this is why spatchcock is so tasty.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blitz to a fine paste, season to liking
- Marinate the spatchcock with the chermoula and set aside (this can be done up to 24 hours in advance)
- Cook the spatchcock on the barbecue until it reaches 75oc (on the inside), set aside to rest before serving